Monday, March 30, 2009

SOLAR GADGETS

First, let me start by expressing my dismay at the endless number of things that require batteries. From clocks, fire alarms and remotes to Nintendos, MP3 players and toys -- they're in everything. The need for electricity to run anything, even a light switch, was making me a little queasy. So I came up with a solution to lessen the damage we do to the planet.

A newly installed 55 w solar panel was my answer. It fills a battery in our laundry room and that battery recharges all of our gadgets. Unbelievably, it was a brainless installation - ready to go once the panel was mounted.

Now it may seem just a tad foolish to try and power up a house with sunshine when it's overcast or raining most days of the year in our locale, but we're giving it a test drive.

So far so good. The solar panel is churning out the free power even on a cloudy day. The rechargeable batteries have all been powered up and I'm feeling a little bit better about my legacy to the world.

It's all working so well it might just be time to invest in a second battery and see what else we can run off the sun.

Today batteries, tomorrow, straight into the grid!

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter