Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween

WHEW! Another Halloween behind us. A busy week around here. The sewing machine was smokin' and pumped out one tarantula, one Grim Reaper and a miniature Harry Potter. The oven churned out 24 spiderweb cupcakes, 24 pumpkin-shaped cookies and 48 mummies' toes. I worked a Grade 2 party and provided a ten-part selection of creepy things to touch. The tongues really freaked out everyone, even some of the adults. No one will be able to eat sliced, canned peaches again. Today, I can return to my laptop and a hot coffee, almost, guilt-free.

I am itching to get back to some writing. My newest picture book begs to have time spent on it. I'm a little stymied. So far, I am very pleased with the subject, the concept, and the characters. But the setting is fairly boring. I have been racking my brain to come up with something that will set the story apart. The subject may be controversial, particularly in the US. I need the book to have more of a WOW factor. Hmmm....

I'm disappointed, and a little surprised, that my latest manuscript is returning with only forms. I was sure it would, at least, inspire an odd comment or two.
It is possible I have been hitting the wrong publishers. I find it very difficult to research publishers while overseas. I rely on the Internet for new titles and subjects. Writing styles and trends are more difficult. I am limited to what I can buy from Scholastic or check-out of the school library.

Back to the Halloween clean up.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter